• CT Department of Social Services (DSS)

    General Eligibility Information and questions: (855) 626-6632

    62 Commercial Street, Torrington 06790

    Hours:  Weekdays, 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.

    DSS Services include:

    Medicaid-for medical needs in the community, at home or facility.

    SNAP (Food Stamps) (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)

    Financial Assistance – aid to the aged, blind or disabled.

    Elder Protective Services – for protecting those 60+ from abuse, neglect or exploitation.

    Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB), Specified Low Income Medicare Beneficiary (SLMB), Additional Low Income Medicare Beneficiary (ALMB) – to assist in Medicare premium and deductible costs, benefit varies depending on individual’s situation.

    Conservator of the Person or Conservator of the Estate

    Programs – call Elder Protective Services for specific eligibility information.

  • Department of Children and Family Services (DCF)

    62 Commercial Boulevard, Torrington CT 06790

    (860) 496-5700 or (860) 842-2288

  • Elder Protective Services

    New Referrals: 1-888-385-4225

    Ongoing Cases in NW area: 1-860-496-6950

  • Foundation for Community Health Prescription Assistance Program

    (860) 491-2308 x 228

    This regional program can help Goshen residents with costs associated with prescriptions, premiums, co-pays and the cost of equipment needed to administer/dispense medications.

  • Goshen Community Care, Inc.

    (860) 491-HOPE (-4673)  goshencommunitycare@gmail.com

    GCC, Inc. offers a variety of services within the Town of Goshen including outreach (visits, phone calls, transportation), Senior Socials for Goshen residents which are held each Tuesday (light meal, games, activities) as well as a lending closet for medical equipment.

  • Goshen Good Neighbor Fund, Inc.

    (860) 491-2419 P.O. Box 492, Goshen, CT 06756

    This fund provides short-term financial assistance to Goshen individuals/families experiencing an emergency situation due to illness, job loss or catastrophic event. GGNF, Inc. may be able to help with home heating, utility payments, home or automotive repairs, medical bills not covered by insurance and other needs unique to individual situations.

  • Salvation Army – Winsted

  • Social Service Agents & Municipal Agent

    Can help Connecticut residents with information, counseling, and coordination of local services (See Page 12).

    Social Service Agents may also help by accessing town or local funds such as Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation’s Neighbor–to–Neighbor, Blue Horizon, Jane Lloyd or Women’s Cancer Wellness Funds.


    If you are unable to reach your Social Service or Municipal Agent, or they cannot provide an answer for you, please contact DSS (Department of Social Services) at (855) 626-6632, or call Infoline (211).


    Emergency – Call the First Selectman’s Office  or Infoline (211)

    [table “” not found /]

  • Social Services in New York State

    Community Action Program (845) 877-9272

    Food Stamps (845) 431-5227

    Public Assistance (845) 486-3000