Legal Services

§ CT Legal Services

Statewide Legal Services:  Statewide Legal Services (SLS) is available by phone to clients throughout Connecticut. Generally SLS is the entry point for accessing legal assistance. SLS may provide advice over the phone, mail information, or refer clients to legal services offices or private attorney at no cost to the client.

(800) 453-3320 (toll free) (860) 344-0380 (central CT)


Connecticut Legal Services

Connecticut Legal Services (CLS) provides legal representation to low-income persons throughout the state, except those living in the greater Hartford or New Haven areas.


CLS has service offices in the following cities:

Bridgeport 211 State Street ……………….. (203) 336-3851

New Britain 16 Main Street ……………….  (860) 225-8678

New London 153 Williams Street ………… (860) 447-0323

Stamford 20 Summer Street ………………..        (203) 348-9216

Waterbury 85 Central Avenue ……………..(203) 756-8074 CALL Office                                                                            directly if 60 yrs & older

Willimantic 872 Main Street ………………  (860) 456-1761


Consumer Law Project for Elders (CLPE)

Are you 60 or over? The Consumer Law Project for Elders (CLPE) provides free legal assistance to people age 60 or over. If you have a debt collection or other consumer problem, please call Consumer Law Project for Elders.

(800) 296-1467


Connecticut Fair Housing Center

Connecticut Fair Housing Center provides legal representation for people claiming discrimination in housing matters and foreclosures.

(860) 247-4400

221 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06106


Connecticut Network for Legal Aid

A website for low-income people:


Center for Medicare Advocacy

 P.O. Box 350

 Willimantic, CT 06226

 Phone:  (800) 262-4414; (860) 456-7790

 Fax: (860) 456-2614

§ Connecticut Women’s Education and Legal Fund (CWEALF)

Hartford, CT

General information (800) 479-2949

Legal questions (860) 524-0601

Hours: Monday to Friday 9:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M.

Covers issues of divorce and child support, pension and social security, and sexual harassment and other forms of workplace discrimination.

§ Home Healthcare Hotline

(800) 828-9769

Payments: (800) 321-5267

Part B: (800) 982-6819

Assists Medicare beneficiaries get info on home healthcare services and register complaints.

§ Notary Public

At banks, or call your Town Hall (see Page 12)

§ Tax Assistance

Property Tax Relief: Renters & Owners: Contact your town Tax Assessor or Town Social Service Agent.

For free tax preparation assistance during tax season (February-April), enter your zip code into the AARP tax- aide web site to find the Tax Aide site closest to you. Many are located at area senior centers.


Webmaster: H. Bancroft 2021